Happy Halloween! It’s time to get back on the daily Oregon news wagon, and what better day than Halloween to do that? As usual for these posts, I’ll be periodically updating this article throughout the day with the latest news as I find it, so check back often. And if you have news to share, please contact me and I can get that posted as well.
Misty Mountain Brewing (Brookings) is celebrating its one year anniversary today with a party from 4 to 10pm: “Don’t forget to come on by and celebrate not only Halloween, but Misty Mountain Brewing 1 year anniversary on Halloween the 31st! We wanna thank everyone for your love and support! We will also be doing customer appreciation day on Sunday the 30th. We will have a lot of give aways and discounts on our food menu along with a doggie costume contest at 3pm that day to have an extra entree! Make sure to come in costume as well to be entered in to a raffle for a big prize!” Congrats to Misty Mountain on their first year!
McMenamins Kennedy School (Portland) has their Halloween-themed “Extra Credit” beer tasting today from 5 to 7pm, featuring two beers—Pumpkin Gold and Whiskey Widow 2015. “Back by popular demand! Last years Halloween Mystery Ale is back with a new look. We took a batch of our Golden Ale and infused it with a Pumpkin Pie Spiced candi syrup to make a treat that suits the harvest season. Light and refreshing, it might just be the perfect beer for those cool autumn days.” (So no actual pumpkin it sounds like.) The Whiskey Widow was aged for three months in Edgefield whiskey barrels. Not a bad trick-or-treat!
Siuslaw Brewing (Alsea): Another small brewery that started up about a year ago, Siuslaw posted that their “Fresh Tilled Brown” is on tap now: “The color is dark for a brown, almost as dark as a porter but not quite. The nose is dark malt with a hint of smoke. The flavor starts with chocolate malt and smoothly transitions into a balanced complexity between the smoked malt and the melanoidin. The flaked oats give it a pleasant subtle creaminess that really helps with the transition of flavor.” One to look for out towards the central coast.
Halloween parties and specials abound! Here’s a list of what I’ve found thus far:
- Broken Top Bottle Shop (Bend) is hosting their Pray for Snow Halloween Ball from 7 to 10pm with live music: “This is an all ages, no cover show, so tell your friends, family, and bring out all those kiddos in their costumes to hang out. We are ready to get that Halloween groove on!”
- Brewers Union Local 180 (Oakridge): “Yes! We are celebrating Halloween! Acoustic Étouffée will play at 7:00. See you there in costume!”
- Mia & Pia’s Pizzeria & Brewhouse (Klamath Falls): “Tonight at Mia & Pia’s… costume contest, pumpkin smash (a benefit for CASA), tricks & treats & more!”
- Klamath Basin Brewing (Klamath Falls): Swing by for (beery) trick-or-treating and get some Vanilla Pumpkin Porter.
- Thunder Island Brewing (Cascade Locks): They’ll be closing at 7pm so be sure to swing in early.
- Sky High Brewing (Corvallis): They are hosting a Halloween party starting at 7:30pm: “Still have some Halloween spirit left after the weekend? Be a rebel and celebrate on a school night! We will be hosting a small gathering in our bar. Costume contests, drink specials, and spooky tunes. Drawing for 1st and 2nd place costume contest winners will be drawn at 9:30pm. Must be present to win.”
- Kaiser Brewing (Forest Grove): “Don’t forget to stop by Kb on your trick-or-treating route tonight. Get out of the rain, and warm up with some FREE hot chocolate, and candy for kids. All ages welcome! And we’ll have beer tasting for the adults! Happy Halloween!”
- Ridgewalker Brewing (Forest Grove): “Come dressed up and get $1 off your first pint! (All day!)”
- BricktownE Brewing (Medford): “We are having a Geeks Who Drink Costume party. Come join us at 7:00 pm and try our new two stouts with two food pairings for $15. We will be serving Chicken Mole Tacos with a Mexican Mocha Stout and Dark Chocolate Ganache Brownies with a rum whip cream topping. Paired up with the Pirates Booty coconut Stout. Wear a costume and get 10% off!”
7 Devils Brewery (Coos Bay): They have a pumpkin beer out now, just in time for Halloween: “Winter is Coming pumpkin ale!! Now on tap. This year’s holiday seasonal is a spiced, amber colored ale, made with Mahaffey Ranch pumpkins. Its delicious!”
BridgePort Brewing (Portland) has a new beer release for the holiday: “This Halloween, Siren’s Sound beckons your name with black malt, midnight wheat and roasted barley. Coming in at 9.0% ABV, we’re introducing this limited-edition big brew– Siren’s Sound Russian Imperial Stout.”