Today doesn’t feel like a Wednesday because of the holiday and short work week, but it is—the last Wednesday in May in fact. Here’s the news in Oregon beer from around the web; as usual, I’ll be periodically updating this post throughout the day with the latest news, so check back often for updates. If you have news to share, please contact me and I can get that updated as well.
Breakside Brewery (Portland) has new bottled beers coming out as well as other new beers hitting the draft lines. From the press release: “Breakside Brewery is releasing new limited edition beers in bottles “Back to the Future IPA” for Portland Beer Week and “Oui, Chef” the latest in the Farmhouse, Fruit & Funk Series. In addition to the 2 highly anticipated bottle releases are two new draft-only IPA’s in the form of “Old World IPA” (available now) and “Session Double IPA” (released later this week). Back to the Future IPA (a collaboration with Seattle’s Fremont Brewing Co.) will be available primarily during Portland Beer Week at participating locations on draft and in 22oz bottles. Oui, Chef is available right now on draft and will be available everywhere in bottles in June. The new Session Double IPA is a test-run on a new IPA the brewers are particularly excited about that may become a new year-round IPA exclusively for Breakside’s upcoming 12oz bottles and 6-packs.” Always interesting things coming from Breakside!
McMenamins Cornelius Pass Roadhouse (Hillsboro) has their monthly Roadhouse Beer Invitational beer tasting tonight from 6 to 9pm, featuring their own beer as well as several other McMenamins breweries on guest taps. This month’s theme is “Aged Effects,” cellared and barrel-aged beers—yum! Beers on tap are: Barrel Aged Pole Ax from CPR, aged in whiskey barrels from CPR’s own distillery; Revelry from Thompson Brewery, red ale fermented with sake yeast and aged in a whiskey barrel; Cerberus Noir Wild Ale from the Edgefield, “a blend of Belgian Wit, Imperial Porter, and Pale Ale” inoculated with Brett; and Bonne Chiere Triple Grand Reserve from the Old Church, a Belgian-style Tripel barrel aged for over a year. This sounds like a spectacular lineup! Be sure to get a sampler tray of all four.
Belmont Station (Portland): Today from 5 to 7pm they are hosting the Portland debut of Heretic Brewing, and you can meet brewer Jamil Zainasheff as well: “Famed homebrewer-turned-pro Jamil Zainasheff brings his Heretic Brewing beers to Oregon for the first time ever! Bottles will be available and Jamil will be on hand to chat, and even sign bottles you bought. Jamil is bringing in Evil Twin Imperial Red Ale, Evil Cousin West Coast Imperial IPA, Gramarye Rye Session Pale Ale, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter and Shallow Grave American Porter. In the biercafe, we will be pouring the Evil Cousin, Gramarye, Shallow Grave and Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, plus a special keg of Torment Dark Belgian-Style Ale.” This will be a great event—and if you have any of Jamil’s books, perhaps he’ll sign them.
- Broken Top Bottle Shop‘s Beer Geek Week Day 6 features tastings with Cascade Lakes Brewing, Sunriver Brewing, and Caldera Brewing, and live music with Voodoo Highway. Beer tasting is from 5 to 8pm and music is from 7 to 9pm.
- The Platypus Pub is hosting Pelican Brewing tonight for a tasting from 6 to 8pm.
- Bend Brewing Company‘s Brewer’s Choice Tap Takeover continues with killer selections of beer on tap, picked by brewers Ian Larkin and Josh Harned.
- Cascade Lakes Brewing has all-week happy hour beer prices continuing today at both their Bend Lodge and Redmond’s 7th Street Brew House.
- GoodLife Brewing has extended their usual Locals Wednesday $3 GoodLife pint deals to run all week through Sunday—Locals Week!
- Bridge 99 Brewery continues their unique “Radio Rock Crawlers and Beers” event today: “A great time with RC crawlers, craft beer and BBQ from Wubba’s across the lot. Bring your own, or try out a demo from D’s Hobbies!” It runs from 3 to 6pm.
- Juniper Brewing continues with Tap Room specials all week long.
- RiverBend Brewing is hosting tastings with Cascade Street Distillery, Atlas Cider, and Buena Bucha Kombucha, and features live music with Strive Roots, all from 6:30 to 9:30pm.
- Silver Moon Brewing has a special “Athletes Who Love Beer” event tonight from 6 to 9pm: “All athletes welcome, wear your colors and kits, and join the Hutch’s Cycling Team, The Deschutes Multisport Club, Recharge Sport and others to tell war stories and tall tales over a pint! Wear a kit or race shirt, get $1 off your pint!”
- Wild Ride Brewing‘s first-ever Beer Pairing Dinner is tonight at 6:30pm—if you already pre-purchased tickets, you’ll enjoy five courses of delicious food paired with Wild Ride beers.
- Brother Jon’s Alehouse in downtown Bend is holding a tap takeover with Double Mountain Brewery, who will be taking over at least 5 of the taps and there will be some epic food and beer combos as well. Runs from 5pm til closing.
McMenamins Crystal Ballroom (Portland) has a special beer tasting at Ringler’s Pub tonight from 5 to 9pm, featuring Hopthrone Barrel-Aged Imperial IPA: “After aging in Hogshead Whiskey barrels for three months, our imperial India Pale Ale received a second and third doses of dry hops. Orange cream with Irish whiskey is probably the best way to put it. ‘Hopthrone, in this land of sorcery…'”
McMenamins Tavern & Pool (Portland) has a meet the brewer and special beer tasting tonight starting at 5pm (first time I’ve seen anything at this location), featuring McMurtrey’s Respite Scottish Export Ale: “The Scottish Export (formerly known as 80 Shilling) is an old, durable style that will satisfies all pub-goers looking for a brew light on ABV yet full of flavor. We used Scottish Ale yeast to ensure authenticity of the brew, and fermented it with the care and attention of an ancient Pict. Named after our brewer’s Scottish ancestry and his affinity for a good spot to kick up his feet and enjoy a brew this ale definitely lands on the malty side of the beer spectrum with a very restrained dose of hops and rich, bready finish. Sláinte!”