Here’s the beer news from around Oregon for Monday, May 7. As usual I’ll be periodically updating this post throughout the day so check back often for the latest. And if you have news to share, please contact me and I can get it posted.
The World Beer Cup results were posted this weekend, and Oregon’s breweries brought home 12 medals for their beer, and Pelican Pub & Brewery won “Champion Brewery and Brewmaster Large Brewpub”—good showing all around!
- Bronze in Category 1: American-Style Wheat Beer: DD Blonde, Hop Valley Brewing, Springfield
- Silver in Category 8: Coffee Beer: Drunken Elf Stout, Columbia River Brewing, Portland
- Bronze in Category 15: Indigenous Beer: Oyster Stout, Upright Brewing, Portland
- Gold in Category 18: American-Style Sour Ale: Ching Ching, Bend Brewing, Bend
- Gold in Category 19: American-Style Brett Ale: Peche ‘n Brett, Logsdon Farmhouse Ales, Hood River
- Bronze in Category 56: French- & Belgian-Style Saison: Urban Farmhouse Ale, The Commons Brewery, Portland
- Bronze in Category 66: English-Style Summer Ale: Mother Lode Golden Ale, Laurelwood Brewing, Portland
- Bronze in Category 67: Classic English-Style Pale Ale: Caldera Ashland Amber, Caldera Brewing, Ashland
- Gold in Category 71: Scottish-Style Ale: MacPelican’s Scottish Style Ale, Pelican Pub & Brewery, Pacific City
- Silver in Category 77: Oatmeal Stout: Stumblers Stout, Columbia River Brewing, Portland
- Gold in Category 81: Barley Wine-Style Ale: Stormwatcher’s Winterfest, Pelican Pub & Brewery, Pacific City
- Bronze in Category 83: Classic Irish-Style Dry Stout: Breakside Dry Stout, Breakside Brewery, Portland
Eugene Beer Week kicks off today featuring a nice roster of events over the next seven days (through the 13th). If you can make it over to Eugene sometime during the week you should do so, with cool events like sensory classes with Ninkai’s Jamie Floyd, a sour beer funk fest at the Bier Stein, tastings and takeovers with lots of guest breweries, and much more. The week ends with the Sasquatch Brewfest one of Oregon’s premier beer festivals. Don’t miss it!
Deschutes Brewery (Bend, Portland): Today at both the Bend Pub and Portland Pub they are hosting “A toast to Twilight Ale & Hop in the Dark” featuring an actual toast to the beer at twilight (8:15-ish) and some specialty menu items to enjoy as well.
Falling Sky Brewing (Eugene): Tomorrow they are holding a Brewer’s Dinner for Eugene Beer Week, and if you want to go you should see today’s post: “If you are planning on coming to our Brewer’s Dinner tomorrow night it would really help out our kitchen if you could get your tickets before 5 pm today so we know how many servings of food to prepare. You can call into the restaurant and reserve a spot too and just pay at the door as long as you don’t stand us up! 541-505-7096″ The cost is $65 and it’s a nice-looking five-course dinner.
The Green Dragon (Portland) has a last minute meet the brewer event tonight, featuring San Francisco’s Speakeasy Ales from 5 to 8pm: “Pop up meet the brewery! Just confirmed Speakeasy Ales and Lagers out of California will be here for the release of Vendetta Imperial IPA. Pouring Black Wheat, White Lighting, Prohibition amber, Big Daddy IPA.”