Here’s the Oregon beer news for Wednesday, February 15th. Getting another late start today! But I’ll be updating this post periodically throughout the rest of the day, and if you have some news you’d like to share, please contact me.
The Bend brewing scene is seeing a flurry of activity lately; in addition to the bits about Worthy Brewing‘s groundbreaking and GoodLife‘s bottling that I posted yesterday, two more of our upcoming breweries are rolling right along:
- The Ale Apothecary, Paul Arney’s new brewing venture, brewed its first beer yesterday. Very exciting!
- Larry Sidor’s “Yet To Be Named Brewery” is well under way, construction-wise, and they are gearing up for Zwickelmania this Saturday: “Bring your hard hats, safety goggles, and beer mugs! Come by and see our brewery before it’s a brewery. We’re located at the former AAMCO site and will be under construction. But don’t worry— we’ll have some great beer on hand. Larry, Dave, and Paul (owners of this new brewery) will be there to talk beer, brewery plans, and just about anything else you’d want to discuss (including name suggestions)”
- Boneyard Beer is set to expand this year into a space on Bend’s north side into a 50-barrel brewing system (up from their 10-bbl system I believe they’re on now). There’s no set schedule for that yet, but the target is by the end of the year. Interestingly, this new brewery will be within a mile of both 10 Barrel Brewing and Old Mill Brew Werks‘ new brewery (which is taking over the old industrial space 10 Barrel is moving out of as they complete their own 50-barrel brewery).
Migration Brewing (Portland) is celebrating their 2nd anniversary, and they’re kicking it off with a Meet the Brewer event at the Horse Brass Pub at 7pm tonight, where they’ll have 5 beers on tap including the first release of their new Deuce Double IPA, a 9% abv and 95 IBU second anniversary celebration beer. Congrats to Migration! I look forward to try out their beers someday soon.
Upcoming tastings, releases, and “Meet the Brewer” events:
- Fort George Brewery (Astoria): Tonight is their Oysters and Stouts Brewer’s Dinner, from 6 to 9pm—five courses of oyster and stout pairings for $65 per person.
- The Brew Shop (Bend) is hosting a tasting with Central Point’s Walkabout Brewing tonight from 6 to 8pm. They’ll have several Walkabout beers pouring, and likely will have a couple on tap as well.
- APEX Bar (Portland): Tomorrow night the 16th they are holding Gigantic Brewing Collaboration Night: “The Gigantic lads, Ben Love and Van Havig, have not only been busy building the Gigantic Brewing Brewery & Tasting Room at SE 26th & Steele in Portland, but they’ve also brewed up a series of collabo (aka. collaboration) beers with their brewer friends around Oregon. This is your chance to try all the collabo beers in one place and meet the brewers. Join Ben and Van – along with all the other collabo brewers (Ben Edmunds-Breakside Brewery, Vasilli Gletsos-Laurelwood Brewing, Daniel Pollard-Pelican Pub and Brewery, and Matt Van Wyk-Oakshire Brewing)” This not-to-miss event takes place from 5 to 9pm. (via Oregon Brewers Guild)
- Belmont Station (Portland): Also tomorrow night, the 16th, they are hosting a Meet the Brewer with Alaska’s Midnight Sun Brewing Company from 6 to 8pm: “Brewer Jeremiah Boone will be here with a great draft lineup: Arctic Devil Barleywine, Obliteration VIII Imperial IPA, Sockeye Red IPA, Oak-aged Sockeye Red, and XXX Double Black IPA! Plus we’ll have a brand new batch of Midnight Sun bottles just off the boat from Alaska!”