I’m not sure what it is about commercial pumpkin beers, but to a large extent they seem to be an East Coast phenomenon—I seem to see more bottled pumpkin beers from the eastern half of the country each year than elsewhere. (Though this might be changing.) And when it comes to Oregon brewers, well, I’ll just say for a state as in love with craft beer as Oregon is, you’re hard-pressed to find many breweries here making pumpkin beers.
(Of course, when it comes to fresh hop beers, there is a clear bias and abundance here—perhaps fresh hop beers are to the West Coast what pumpkin beers are to the East?)
There are a few, however, and I’ll be listing them here as I find out about them. I’m also issuing a challenge to Oregon brewers: let’s see some pumpkin beers! If you’re already brewing some, let me know!
Here’s the list so far:
- Beer Valley Brewing (Ontario): Jackalope Imperial Pumpkin Porter (announced on Facebook); “draft only in Seattle, Portland, and Southern California” (appeared at Elysian Brewing’s Great Pumpkin Beer Fest)
- Breakside Brewing (Portland): Pumpkin Saison and Imperial Pumpkin Cream Stout (comment by Ben)
- Deschutes Brewery (Bend): Pompion (Pumpkin Ale on nitro) (announced on Facebook)
- Laurelwood Brewing (Portland): Stingy Jack Pumpkin Ale (appeared at Elysian’s Great Pumpkin Beer Fest)
- Silver Moon Brewing (Bend) usually brews and bottles a pumpkin ale called Twisted Gourd; no word yet on if it will make an appearance this year
- Block 15 Brewing (Corvallis): Jack Straw Strong Amber Ale, “conditioned with over 120lbs of locally grown and fresh roasted pumpkins. Gently spiced with cinamon, nutmeg and allspice.”
Updated 10/21, added Block 15.