Here’s the Oregon beer news for Tuesday, December 20th. I’ve noticed (and suspected) that the news is quieter this week (for obvious reasons), but there’s still stuff going on. I’ll be updating this post throughout the day so please contact me if you have news to share.
To continue with the “last minute Christmas shopping” theme I started yesterday, The Bier Stein (Eugene) has just the thing for you: “Hey, all you last minute shoppers! We have plenty of great gift ideas for that craft beer lover in your life! We have a great supply of assorted glassware, gift packs, specialty beers and gift certificates available for any amount you would like. Have a great Holiday, Cheers!”
And, Oakshire Brewing (Eugene) posted about a new “Oregon IPA” 4-pack that is on the shelves now: “New IPA Bomber boxes which include 22 ounce bottles of delicious Oakshire Watershed IPA, 10 Barrel Apocalypse IPA, Lompoc C-Note and SOB’s Nice Rack. They are retailing for around $20.00.” That’s a good price for a nice selection and coverage of Oregon’s IPAs.
Ninkasi (Eugene) has posted a picture of the collaboration brew they did with Stone Brewing and The Alchemist—their “More Brown than Black IPA”—by which I’m guessing it should be hitting shelves here in Oregon soon. One to look for!
Upcoming tastings, releases, and “Meet the Brewer” events:
- Deschutes Brewery (Bend & Portland) has the Red Chair NWPA release parties going on today at the Bend and Portland Pubs (all day). With draft and bottles of Red Chair available, along with swag and specially-themed menus.
- Cascade Brewing (Portland) is breaking out the good stuff on Thursday, the 22nd: original 2008 Bourbonic Plague. This is one tasting you simply can’t miss if you’re in Portland. It’s 12.67% abv and $8 per glass, and the tasting starts at 4pm.
And tonight, their Tap it Tuesday is featuring “Shrieking Violet Blueberry” a strong spiced Quad barrel aged alone and then on blueberries for over 2 years total. The tapping is at 6pm, and will sell for $7 per glass. (11% abv)
- Hopworks Urban Brewery (Portland) is tonight releasing their Brouwer’s Anniversary Imperial Stout, an “imperial version of our 7-Grain Stout (minus the coffee) to help celebrate the 6th anniversary of Seattle’s famed Brouwer’s Café.” This should be an exciting beer and the tapping starts at 4pm.
- The Green Dragon (Portland) has a new release tomorrow (Wednesday the 21st) as part of their “Green Dragon Project” beers: Solstice Amber Ale (just in time for the first day of winter on the 22nd!). “Just in time for the Winter Solstice, this Amber Ale boasts a bready, bittersweet chocolate & caramel malt aroma supplemented by a flowery kiss of Northwest and Czech hops. This ale complements long evenings of recollection, the celebration of longer days to come and the rhythm of Earth’s trip around the sun. Cheers!” The release is from 5 to 8pm.
Happy hours, specials, and cheap pours:
- Bend Brewing (Bend): Today is Locals Night, with $2.75 pints from 4pm to closing, and half-price appetizers from 4 to 6pm and 9pm to closing.
- Silver Moon Brewing (Bend): This week’s Growler Power Hour features Oktoberfest Lager, Bridge Creek Pilsner, and Snake Bite Porter. The Growler Power Hour runs on Tuesday and Wednesday from 4 to 6pm and offers $5 growler fills on those two beers.
- Lompoc Brewing (Portland) (usually) features their Tightwad Tuesday at Fifth Quadrant & Hedge House, with $2.50 pints all day long today. (Though I haven’t seen a post about it specifically today.)