Here’s the beer news from around Oregon for Tuesday, the 13th of December. As usual I’m curating the news from around the web and will be updating this post throughout the day; if you have news you’d like to share, please contact me and I’ll get it updated.
Coalition Brewing (Portland) still has free malt (and free schwag) to give away in conjunction with their new CDA, Apollo Creed: “Free Shwag! Free Malt! Join us today at 3pm to try our new CDA, “Apollo Creed” and get your hands on some Briess Malting schwag and a pound of their new malt, Midnight Wheat!”
Upright Brewing (Portland): They are releasing this year’s holiday beer, Billy the Mountain, this weekend: “Look for the new version of Billy the Mountain in bottles this weekend. This years is a blend designed to change even more over time in the bottle. You can also meet Alex and try samples of Billy & more at new St. Johns bottle shop Barrel this Friday.”
10 Barrel (Bend) is the subject of a great writeup over at the New School: news on their immediate future and expansion, including their plans to open up a brewpub in Boise. There apparently is also news to set the rumor mill churning: “[T]hey have again reached deep to hire another very well-known and well-liked award winning Oregon brewer who will be relocating for the [Boise] job. As of now these guys are tight lipped about who said brewer is, but believe me when I say it will be quite shocking when said brewer makes his announcement and puts in his resignation from his current brewery.”
Happy hours, specials, and cheap pours:
- Bend Brewing (Bend): Today is Locals Night, with $2.75 pints from 4pm to closing, and half-price appetizers from 4 to 6pm and 9pm to closing.
- Cascade Brewing (Portland): It’s Tap It Tuesday, and starting at 6pm they are featuring Live Cherry Bourbonic Plague: “We took a 20-month-old Thai cinnamon version of the Bourbonic and aged it a further 4 months on Bing cherries.”
- Silver Moon Brewing (Bend): This week’s Growler Power Hour features Oktoberfest Lager and Hound’s Tooth Amber Ale. The Growler Power Hour runs on Tuesday and Wednesday from 4 to 6pm and offers $5 growler fills on those two beers.
- Lompoc Brewing (Portland) is featuring their Tightwad Tuesday at Fifth Quadrant & Hedge House, with $2.50 pints all day long today.
Upcoming tastings, releases, and “Meet the Brewer” events:
- The Bier Stein (Eugene) has a partial tap takeover and is celebrating the 15th Anniversary Release Party for Firestone Walker tonight from 6 to 9pm. “We will have 6 FW brews on tap including 15th Anniversary Barrel-aged blend! If you buy a glass of 15th Anniversary you will receive a 4 oz. sample of 14th Anniversary to have side by side(while supplies last). We will also have bottles of both 14th and 15th Anniversary available for a discounted price if you buy them together!”
- Breakside Brewery (Portland) tomorrow has a bottle and draft release of two barrel-aged beers: Bourbon Barrel Aztec and Soursop Wheat. The release starts at 3pm and they will also “likely debut one or two other special new beers throughout the evening.”
- Belmont Station (Portland) is hosting a “Eurobrews” tasting from 5 to 8pm: “Taste a wonderful range of Imports you may never have tried: St. Peter’s Grapefruit (yes, a wheat beer with grapefruit), St. Peters Winter Ale, Holy Grail Black Knight, Black Sheep Ale, and Xingu Black Lager. Xingu is from Brazil, the rest are from England. Your host will be Will Smith (no not that Will Smith).”
- Lompoc Brewing‘s “8 Malty Nights: The Ultimate Chanukah Beer Release” kicks off tomorrow (Wednesday the 14th)—this is their release of their 8 Malty Nights Chanukah beer, teamed up with Schmaltz Brewing and the release of their Jewbelation 15. The release party runs from 6 to 10pm at their Sidebar.