Here’s the news for Oregon beer for Thursday, December 8th. As usual I’ll be updating throughout the day, contact me if you have news to share.
Cascade Brewing (Portland) is holding a 4-year vertical tasting of the Sang Noir today starting at 4pm, to celebrate the release of the 2010 Sang Noir. You’ll want to get in on this if possible: “Today at 4 pm at the Barrel House, we will be launching the release of 2010 Sang Noir with a four year vertical tasting of all of our Sang Noirs…. The ’07, ’08 and ’09 Sang Noirs will only be available as part of a vintage vertical, which also includes ’10 and sells for $10, with 3-ounce pours of each. The ’10 Sang Noir can be purchased separately in an 8-ounce glass for $6.50.”
Breakside Brewery (Portland) is releasing two new bottles of barrel-aged beer next Wednesday the 14th: Bourbon Barrel Aztec and Soursop Wheat. “Bourbon Barrel Aztec is an oak-aged version of the Aztec Ale. This is the second batch of this beer, and the first sold out very quickly! The new batch has a big bourbon-y nose, restrained heat, and a rich oak character. Soursop Wheat is a blend of sour Belgian beers that were aged on soursop fruit in an Old Tom Gin barrel. Soursop is a sweet and savory SE Asian fruit, and this is a complex and layered sour.” Both sound fantastic!
Upcoming tastings, releases, and “Meet the Brewer” events:
- The Bier Stein (Eugene) is holding a sampling event with Redmond’s Cascade Lakes Brewing tonight from 6 to 9pm. Free samples will be poured and there will be two special small-batch beers on draft.
- The Green Dragon (Portland) is hosting a Meet the Brewer for Montana’s Bayern Brewery tonight from 5 to 8pm. Bayern specializes in German-style beers.
- The APEX Beer Bar (Portland) is hosting a rare tapping of Ale Industries Grand Cru tonight starting at 5pm, of 1 of only 10 1/6bbl kegs in existence: “Servings will be in a 6 oz. glass, so there will be just over 100 served.”
- Widmer (Portland) is having a Brewers Dinner this Saturday the 10th at The HighCliffe in Oregon City, starting at 6pm for $30 per person: “Meet, drink, and be merry with Widmer Master Brewer, Ben Dobler, and Highcliffe Executive Chef, Chris Greer. The event will feature 4 unique courses paired with 4 Widmer products, along with a welcome reception glass of Widmer Hefeweizen. Participants will also receive a gift package containing items to commemorate the evening. Tickets MUST be purchased in advance at The Highcliffe during any of our normal business hours.” Also look for a “surprise 5th course.”
- Alameda Brewing (Portland) is releasing their Papa Noel Moonlight Reserve tonight, starting at 6pm. This is the bourbon barrel-aged version of the Papa Noel Olde Ale and is available for sale in wax-dipped bottles as well. And $2 pints specials!
Southern Oregon Brewing (Medford): Brewpublic breaks the news that SOB will be releasing a new Imperial Stout in January, Black Heart Imperial Stout. “This weighty 8.5% ABV ale will be a nice addition to SOB’s portfolio of delicious beers that include Woodshed Red, Nice Rack IPA, Na Zdravi’ Czech Pils, Gold Digger Golden Ale, Old Humbug Winter Warmer, a Pale, and a Barleywine.”
Natian Brewery (Portland) will be on-hand during the grand opening of the new beer store Uptown Market in Beaverton on Saturday the 10th. “Ian will be on hand to help celebrate & to offer up some tasters of the “Autumn” Chocolate Amber & talk beer with anyone who will listen!” Uptown Market will be offering some 500 bottled beers as well as offering two taps to enjoy (or to fill a growler).