Deschutes Brewery (Bend): This week is the big one for Deschutes—The Abyss is released on Thursday the 15th! Both the Bend Pub and Portland Pub have release parties that day which will feature special Abyss-themed menus, bottles of this year’s Abyss on sale ($14 per bottle, 6-bottle limit per person), and special vertical flights trays of 2008-2012 vintages of Abyss. Don’t miss out!
In fact, it’s a week full of releases: Pelican Pub & Brewery (Pacific City) has both their Stormwatcher’s Winterfest being released (also on Thursday the 15th) and this Saturday the 17th is “Mother’s Day”—the release of their epic Mother of All Storms! Mother is their blended Winterfest barleywine aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels to 14% abv and bottled cost $20 each—available only at the brewery at first. Details are here. Did you have plans for Saturday? Well you might now.
Belmont Station (Portland) has a tasting today with importer Vanberg & DeWulf, known for their Belgian beer imports: “Vanberg & DeWulf have imported legendary artisinal ales for 31 years! Come taste some of their finest, including LambickX (V&D’s hand-selected Lambic blend), Olvisholt Lava Stout (smoked Imperial Stout from Iceland), Vicaris Tripel-Gueuze, Dupont Avec Les Bon Veux, DuPont Posta Rustica, & Scaldis Prestige.” That runs from 5 to 8pm tonight.
Upright Brewing (Portland) has a release on Friday the 23rd(“Black Friday”) in their “Untitled” series of beers—those dedicated as tributes to bands. Black Friday’s release is a tribute to punk band Bad Brains. “The release party at Bad Habit Room includes a screening of the Bad Brains documentary “A Band in DC” and a listening party for their new album “Into the Future” released the same week on Megaforce Records. Meet Upright Brewing’s Brewer/Owner Alex Ganum, Point Blank Distributing’s Morgan Torngren-Tatman who conceptualized the beer and label artist Ezra Johnson-Greenough. Look for 4 different Upright brews on tap including the Untitled “Bad Brains” beer.” The beer itself is a 6.4% abv hoppy dark lager.
Coalition Brewing (Portland): Good news for fans of Coalition’s Maple Porter: It’s coming to bottles! “Loving Cup Maple Porter will be bottled and available in 22’s in the coming weeks.” I’ll be keeping an eye out for these; I’ve long heard the praises of this porter and for some reason haven’t yet tried it…
Gigantic Brewing (Portland) has a specialty beer release this Friday for the Japanese Izakaya festival: a black rice and plum beer named “Ume Umai”. New School has the details: some 84 pounds of black rice making up 15% of the grist (Pilsner malt made up the other 85%) and 1260 pounds of black plums, pits and all. The beer was brewed just for this event, so I don’t know if it’s going to show up anywhere else, though that would be nice as it’s one of the most interesting beers I’ve read about in a while.