It’s Thursday, November 10, and I found this interesting tidbit on Wikipedia: today in 1775 the US Marine Corp was founded at the Tun Tavern in Philadelphia. The Tun Tavern served as a meeting place for a number of notable historic groups—showing how important taverns and beer were to our history. With that in mind here’s the Oregon beer news for today; as usual, I’ll be periodically updating this post throughout the day, so check back often. And if you have news to share, please contact me and I can get that updated as well.
Deschutes Brewery (Bend): It’s The Dissident release day! “We are excited to release the 6th bottling of our favorite Flanders-Style Sour, The Dissident! Pick up a bottle (or two) at our tasting bar, enjoy some special culinary paired treats, and spoil yourself with samplings of the last four vintages. This is one of our most special and limited releases of the year, so come share in the celebration of this full body fruity & sour Reserve Series beer.” Both the Bend and Portland pubs have bottles for sale (for $18 each) and food specials, don’t miss out on this highly-coveted beer.
McMenamins Edgefield (Troutdale) has their Meet Your Maker beer tasting today from 5 to 8pm in their Distillery Bar, featuring Sorcerer’s Apprentice Nectarine Brett Pale: “This unique Sour Beer was brewed for the 2016 Willamette Week Pro/Am and should cellar well for months, or even years. Roasted Fantasia Nectarines (350 whopping pounds of them), Imperial Yeast’s Suburban Brett, eight Hogshead Whiskey Barrels, Mike Marsh’s ingenuity and Edgefield Brewery’s know-how have all combined to create a funky, lightly fruity, Brett primary fermented beer that spent it’s whole life in oak barrels.” This sounds like one of McMenamins more daring beers yet.
StormBreaker Brewing (Portland) is celebrating the release of their annual winter ale, Winter Coat, tonight from 5 to 10pm: “New year, new coat. New features include the addition of Plum and sweet orange peel. As usual, Chocolate Malt and Special B insulate this year’s Winter Coat and it is stuffed with Fuggle and Sterling hops. 100% delicious honey malt lining. This winter warmer was designed to keep you warm. Go ahead, enjoy it by the fire.”
The BeerMongers (Portland) tonight is hosting Phantom Carriage Brewery from 5 to 8pm (originally dubbed “Doom & Horror” as it was slated to run around Halloween time). “Located in Carson, CA and focusing on mixed fermentation, Phantom Carriage has been making delicious beers for a couple years now. We’ll be pouring a wide variety.”
Cider time? Portland’s Belmont Station is hosting a tasting today with Bull Run Cider from 5 to 7pm: “Forest Grove’s Bull Run Cider will be in the bottle shop tasting two of their offerings that are perfect for the upcoming holidays: Creekside Cranberry Perry and Pear Ice Wine. Creekside Cranberry Perry is made from organic pears, finished with a touch of cranberry. The mellow sweetness of the pears is balanced by tart cranberry in this refreshing perry. A perfect complement to the flavors of Thanksgiving! Pear Ice Wine is also made from organic Hood River pears, with a flurry of pear taste and aroma that will enchant your taste buds. A wine perfect on its own or accompanying any final course, it also makes a thoughtful and attractive gift!”
And Reverend Nat’s Hard Cider will be in Bend tonight at Crow’s Feet Commons, for a “Soirée du Cidre” from 5 to 8pm: “Join us for an evening to celebrate fall with The Root Cellar and Reverend Nat’s Hard Cider. Three courses of crêpes impeccably paired with three delicious ciders.”
Drink for a good cause today! A few places have fundraising going on today:
- Ninkasi Brewing (Eugene): Pints For A Cause: Animal Rescue Teaching for Any Level of Learner, with 25% of all pint sales at their tasting room from noon to 10pm benefiting the organization.
- Sunriver Brewing‘s Bend pub today has Craft for a Cause all day with $1 per pint benefiting United Way of Deschutes County.
- Worthy Brewing (Bend) has “A Worthy Cause” in their new Hop Mahal banquest space with “$1 per pint goes to Mt Bachelor National Ski Patrol all day.” Also: “Starting at 5:30pm, you can buy raffle tickets to win prizes (drawing is at 7:45pm and must be present to win!)”
There’s a bunch of news for Bend today—in addition to the four items above, there is also:
- Monkless Belgian Ales is doing a tasting from 6 to 8pm at The Brown Owl: “Please join us Thursday, November 10th for a tasting with our friends down at The Brown Owl. Come experience some amazing Belgian-style Ales made locally here in Bend, Oregon.”
- Crux Fermentation Project has a tap takeover tonight at 10 Below restaurant from 6 to 9pm: “We’re teaming up with Crux for a first-time, special keg tapping with paired small bites. Special keg tapping and Brewmaster’s toast begin at 6:00 pm, and the first 24 special keg pours will receive a FREE Crux tulip glass!”
- The White Water Taphouse downtown is hosting Yachats Brewing for their meet the brewer bingo night: “Come meet Charlie, our brewer, and try our 804 Pils, Fresh Hop Amarillo Sour, and Velella Oak Aged Black Currant Saison.”
- Bend Brewing‘s Dozen Days of Drafts continues, with today’s beer special is for Metolius Golden, another solid staple from the brewpub.
Full Sail Brewing (Hood River): Their November Brewmaster Dinner is tonight, Feast… Before the Feast, taking place from 5 to 8pm. It’s a four-course meal paired with Full Sail beers (including Bourbon Wheatwine for dessert) for $40 per person. They have limited seating so call (541) 386-2247 for reservations.
McMenamins Cornelius Pass Roadhouse (Hillsboro) has their own Brewers Dinner tonight starting at 7pm. “It’s a beer party in the Octagonal Barn–the quintessential fall gathering! Brewers will introduce their beers, which are paired with each course in this seasonal menu.” It’s a six-course meal that costs $75 per person, and you can buy tickets online here.
Rogue Ales (Newport) is officially launching their Yellow Snow IPA in cans tonight at The Independent Sports Bar & Grill in Portland from 6 to 9pm: “We’re officially launching our Yellow Snow IPA Cans on November 10. Join us at our first-ever Thirst for Snow celebration. Raffle prizes will be awarded & Rogue Yellow Snow IPA will be available. Come see us and drink the Yellow Snow.”