Happy Halloween! Here’s the Oregon beer news for the last day of October. As usual, I’ll be periodically updating this post throughout the day, so check back often for the latest news. And if you have news to share, please contact me and I can get that updated as well.
As befitting the holiday, McMenamins has a couple of limited-edition tastings featuring their Halloween seasonal, Black Widow Porter: first, Old St. Francis School in Bend has “Curly’s Firkin” starting at 5pm with Cask-conditioned Black Widow Porter on tap—sure to be an incredibly tasty pour as cask-conditioning can only help an already good porter. And, at the Cornelius Pass Roadhouse in Hillsboro, a special Black Widow blend is on tap starting at 6pm: “The Widow Jäger” a version aged on Jäger-soaked oak and served on cask. That sounds amazing (though I have to confess, beer+Jäger combo has not been kind to me in recent years!). Both are limited-runs, so once the keg is gone, they are gone.
Belmont Station (Portland) has a special Halloween tapping of Dogfish Head’s Bitches Brew tonight starting at 5pm: “OK, we’re not your Halloween Party Central, AND we’re a bit too laid back here to be spooky, but we thought we’d tap our only keg of this tasty Dogfish Head brew just for those of you who want a little treat without all the trappings.” It’s a 9% abv beer “that’s a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root.” Get it if you can!
The Green Dragon (Portland) has a special Halloween Green Dragon Brew Crew release tonight hitting the taps at 5pm: Clifford Brown Ale. “Unique aromatics reminiscent of homemade holiday desserts, cinnamon, spice and everything nice. Scottish pale malt and three specialty malts create a wonderful background while Mt. Hood and Cascade hops provide a citrusy spice that is most welcome.”
There are of course brewery Halloween parties going on tonight (that may or may not be directly related to beer). Here are a bunch that I saw posted online:
- Double Mountain Brewery (Hood River): Starting at 8:30pm and featuring live music from the Quick and Easy Boys.
- Brewers Union Local 180 (Oakridge): Wear a costume, win a prize, enjoy live musicfrom “Oakridge’s own Kelly Thibodeaux and Norm Coyer” all starting at 7pm.
- Pints Urban Taproom (Portland): They have a pirate-themed party with the release of Black Pearl Cascadian Dark Ale for $3/pint and at 9pm a best costume drawing.
- Fort George Brewery (Astoria): Halloween Hellorium starting at 7pm featuring live music, Fort George beer, and a costume contest.
- Silver Moon Brewing (Bend): Live music from the Moon Mountain Ramblers, a “scream contest” and $2 off the cover charge if you’re wearing a costume.
- Pfriem Family Brewers (Hood River): Their Halloween party starts at 8pm, with “Dinner Specials, Live Music, Costume Contest with prizes!”
The BeerMongers (Portland) tonight is teaming up with Seattle’s Elysian Brewing “for a Halloween showcase of their favorite Pumpkin beers” starting at 6pm. “The BeerMongers team has made every effort to try as many pumpkin beers as possible and select only the best and most interesting ones for Halloween. There will be a special Pumpkin glassware giveaway and costume contest.”