Oregon Cider Week continues this week, and I’ll list events below the fold. There are also a couple of festivals coming up this weekend:
The new BrewFest in the Park, an all-organic beer festival, takes place from Friday, June 23 through Sunday, June 25, in Portland at Overlook Park. “BrewFest in the Park will serve more than 60 craft beverages – including beer, cider and mead – from 41 different brewing companies. There will also be food carts (Bunk Sandwiches, The Dump Truck and Urban German Grill), vendors, a Crater Lake Soda Garden for minors and designated drivers, games for adults (volleyball, cornhole and washer toss), and a children’s area with activities and free face painting – all taking place in a beautiful park setting. The styles at the event range from ciders to cream ales, ambers to lagers, and fruit beers to IPAs. Most, though not all, of the products have been brewed using a minimum of 70% organic ingredients, per USDA guidelines. Tickets for the event are on sale now, and early purchasers receive an additional five tasting tickets. Advance packages cost $25 per individual and include the festival mug, 15 drink tickets, a wristband, and free re-entry all weekend (with wristband & mug).”
On Saturday, June 24, Kriekfest returns to Solera Brewery in Parkdale (the Hood River valley). “There will be 30 sour cherry beers, ciders, and wines including 11 new brands this year, The largest celebration devoted exclusively to barrel-aged cherry beverages will take over the rural town of Parkdale 60 miles east of Portland. Highway 35, which runs from the riverside town of Hood River, is nicknamed the Fruit Loop for its fertile farms including abundant cherry orchards. The host venue, Solera Brewery, offers breathtaking views of iconic Mt. Hood and the surrounding orchards. Kriekfest 2017 tickets are now available at merctickets.com/go/Kriekfest.” Tickets cost $25 and this year there is a transportation option from Portland for $69 as well.
Here are today’s Oregon Cider Week events:
- 2 Towns Tasting at Belmont Station – 5 to 8pm: “Since opening in 2010 the commitment to quality and a philosophy of craft beverages should be simple, so we simply use the whole fruits that nature provides, and nothing else, still rings true today. Join Ashley from 2 Towns and taste for yourself.”
- Yoga + Cider at Schilling Cider House, Portland – 5:30 to 7pm: “Celebrate Oregon Cider Week with an evening of Yoga + Cider in the City on Monday, June 19th. Participants meet at the new Schilling Cider House at Portlands Goat Blocks. Class begins at 5:30pm, students arrive 15mins early and are welcomed upstairs to a stunning urban rooftop setting for a 75min all-level yoga class at 5:30pm instructed by Finnrivers National Cider Ambassador, Pomme Boots Society founding member and 200hr RYT, Jana Daisy-Ensign. Jana has been instructing yoga classes since 2010 and working in cider since 2006. After yoga, students are welcomed back to the Cider House to make a selection from Schillings impressive 50+ tap draft cider list and raise a glass together.”
- Seattle Cider Trivia Night at Chill N Fill, Portland – 7pm: “It’s Oregon Cider Week and Seattle Cider Company will be in the house for Free Team Trivia on Monday, June 19th. Hosted by Rain Brain Trivia, a few questions will be on Seattle Cider Company so study up and win swag and a Chill N Fill Gift card. Plus complimentary Seattle Cider tastings. Enjoy Seattle Cider Company’s Berry and Imperial Honey on tap, plus free sampling of their Dry and Semi Sweet. Join us!”
- Ongoing – 2 Towns Oregon Cider Week Cider Cocktail at Loyal Legion
- Ongoing – Release of Cider House Love Collaboration Cider
Three Creeks Brewing (Sisters) has announced their upcoming beer releases, starting with Vaquero Imperial IPA which is out on June 23: “Brewed in the Northwest tradition with over 4 lbs per barrel of Simcoe, Cascade, Chinook, El Dorado, Bravo and Citra all “hop bursted” in the kettle and then dry hopped with a blend of our favorite hops. This new school IPA pours a hazy golden color and features bright zesty and piney aromas with some tropical fruit, clean dry bitterness and massive amounts of hop flavor. 8.3% ABV, 100 IBUs.” Also upcoming is Rye Whiskey Barrel-Aged Stampede Ale and the seasonal return of Stonefly Session Ale (a rye beer that is a seasonal favorite).
Calapooia Brewing (Albany) has a Pints for Paws Fundraiser today from 5 to 10pm: “We had so much fun at the May Pints for Paws that we decided to do another one at Calapooia! Thanks to Calapooia Brewing for donating $1 from every DRINK purchase from 5-10 p.m. on Monday, June 19, to SafeHaven Humane Society.” Get down there and help out with a pint or three!