Today is the start of Portland Beer Week, with the big kick off party taking place at the Lucky Lab on Quimby from 5 to 10pm and featuring 20 breweries, special beers, beer ice cream from Portland’s Salt & Straw, raffle prizes, and more. There is also an Oakshire beer night at Saraveza, a Stone Brewing Brewers Dinner at Raven & Rose, and Portland Beer Games at The Lumberyard. It’s going to be 10 days of great beer, so enjoy and pace yourself!
McMenamins Old Church & Pub (Wilsonville) has a meet the brewer and special beer tasting today featuring Sour Cherry Equinox starting at 5pm: “Old Church Brewer Mark Goodwin has been cellaring this beauty of an ale since last summer. It was a hit then and hopefully will not let you down this year either. The “Sour Cherry Equinox” has notes of dark fruit, roast malt and sour pie cherry and finishes deceptively smooth.” Not sure about the style but it’s a 9.6% abv beer!
The Green Dragon (Portland) tonight is hosting a meet the brewer and tasting with Backwoods Brewing Company, out of Carson, Washington. Carson is located a bit west of White Salmon on the north bank of the Columbia River, and Backwoods has been open for about a year from what I can tell. The event starts at 5pm, and is a good chance to try their beers.
McMenamins Fulton Pub & Brewery (Portland) is having a limited-edition beer tasting tonight featuring a Chipotle Porter: “This is Fulton’s standard porter recipe aged on chipotle peppers. The smoked peppers add a nice twist to the rich chocolate flavor and bready sweet malt profile. The hops play a back-up role in this beer, allowing the smoky spicy flavor of the chipotle to share the spotlight. Overall Chipotle Porter has a pleasing, sweet quality with a just a brush of heat from the peppers. Smooth, rich, and delicious!” The tasting starts at 5 and when the beer is gone, it’s gone.
For some reason today is all about new beers being released; these next 5 items are all about new or upcoming beers:
- Standing Stone Brewery (Ashland) has a blog post about their latest specialty beer, 76 Hands Blackberry Ale: “Last year, we threw a harvest party and brought out employees to pick bucket-loads of berries for the brewpub.We’re using 61 lbs of this 2012 harvest in our latest specialty beer: 76 Hands Blackberry Ale. The beer name stems from the 38 employees who spent three mornings in September picking blackberries last year.”
- Worthy Brewing (Bend) has a new IPA on tap: “Our newest beer, Polaris IPA, is on tap now. This limited release features a unique and exciting hop from Germany. Polaris hops are a new variety with a strong fruity aroma with a refreshing hint of mint. Others have described the hop character as lemon balm and bergamot. You decide.”
- Cascade Brewing (Portland) has their Gose(!) going on tap tomorrow: “Gose Draft Release tomorrow at Barrel House & Rac Lodge at opening. This light, slightly soured beer is spiced with coriander & sea salt. Aromas of spice and soft wheat are noticed up front. Tart spices and hint of lemon dance on the palate. It finishes off with a soft lingering spice and a slight dusty lemon note. 5% ABV, $4.5 12oz teardrop.”
- Deschutes Brewery (Bend) is brewing up a batch of original 1988 Jubeale: “Pub brewers Veronica and Matt looked up an original Jubelale recipe from the 1988 brew log and brewed it on Tuesday. We will be serving this Anniversary Jubelale at our 25th Birthday Back Alley Bash on June 27th.”
- Walkabout Brewing (Medford): They collaborated with Medford’s Apocalypse Brewing to brew (I think) a strawberry lager: “It’s ready and will be available at the: “Walkalypse Collaboration Release & Ladder Ball Tournament” @Walkabout Brewing Tap Room: Starts at 3pm. Come try the Walkaberry Lager, this special brew is a collaboration between Apocalypse Brewing & Walkabout Brewing and participate in the Ladder Ball Tournament.”