Happy first Friday of June! With Eugene Beer Week winding up this weekend as well as other things, there is plenty to do! As usual, I’ll be periodically updating this post throughout the day with the latest news, so check back often. And if you have news to share, please let me know and I can get that updated as well.
Tomorrow, Saturday the 6th, is the annual Sasquatch Brew Fest capping Eugene Beer Week and taking place at the Hop Valley tasting room and brewery in Eugene. “Besides featuring an opportunity to taste unique, craft-brewed beer, some batches brewed specifically for the festival, the Sasquatch Brew Fest will also feature food booths, a silent auction, raffles, a beer dinner, and a home brew contest sanctioned by the American Homebrewer’s Association and the Beer Judge Certification Program, administered by the Cascade Brewer’s Society.” It runs from noon to 10:30pm and costs only $10 at the door, a significant portion of these proceeds going to the Glen Hay Falconer Foundation non-profit. Don’t miss this Fest if you can help it!
Belmont Station (Portland) also has a fundraiser event on Saturday: “Grateful Deaf’s Ken Fisher brings another one collaboration with Brewers Local Union 181 for a fundraiser to help him pay for a hearing interpreter on his gypsy brewing journey to Europe this summer. This time, he and Ted Sobel offer a Cascadian Light Ale, a session CDA, if you will, based on his award-winning Hoppy Cat CDA he brewed in Italy. Come enjoy a pint!” It takes place from 1 to 4pm.
As for the Eugene Beer Week events this weekend, there are:
- The Bier Stein today has the “Tower of Sour!” going on all day: “We’re blowing out our collection of wild and sour beers from across the country and world! We will feature beers from such breweries as: Allagash, Block 15, Cantillon, Crooked Stave, Drie Fonteinen, Firestone, Logsdon, Mikkeller, Oakshire, Russian River, Tilquin, and more! Beers will flow through the weekend until they are gone.” The list on their event page is fantastic!
- The new Beergarden is holding their grand opening today (Friday), featuring live music this evening and: “Beergarden is a Beer, Cider, Wine, and Soda Taphouse and Bottleshop combined with a Food Truck Pod and year round garden next to Gray’s Garden Center in the Whit.” Perfect weather for it, too.
- The Tap and Growler is hosting Baker City’s Barley Brown’s for a “tap attack” from 3 to 6pm Friday.
- Claim 52 Brewing is hosting the 3rd annual BRING recycle benefit Friday starting at 4pm: “Claim 52 will donate 50 percent of the night’s proceeds to BRING. We’ll also have BRING discount certificates, great music, and a fun, kid-friendly atmosphere. It sounds like a party you don’t want to miss. Hot Mama’s Wings will be onsite dishing up their locally sourced, sustainable food cart fare.”
- Falling Sky Brewing: Brewery tours Friday from 4 to 5pm: “Join Lead Brewer Scott Sieber in our German designed brewhouse. Learn the ins and outs of all of those shiny vessels you see through the brewery window!”
- Sam Bond’s Brewing features “The Pint is On Us” special Friday from 4 to 9pm: “Get a 16 oz sample of beer with order of any entree!”
- Ninkasi Brewing is tapping the 2015 Legacy Sasquatch Beer at their tasting room Friday from 6 to 8pm: “Each year, Glen Hay Falconer Scholarship recipients join together to brew a beer with Ninkasi in Eugene. This year’s pale ale was brewed by the 2014 recipients: Dan Russo of Oakshire Brewing, Josh Waldam of Elysian Brewing Company, and Richard Mergens of Crucible Brewing. Be there, when we tap the first keg of this year’s brew! Live music on the patio by GEO 4.”
- And Friday at First National Taphouse Ninkasi and Oakshire Brewing are teaming up for a tap and cornhole takeover: “Come join Ninkasi and Oakshire Brewing for a day of corn-hole and delicious beers. Enjoy four taps from each brewery, including some of their extra select beers. Included as draft taps; Oakshire’s Hellshire V and Ninkasi’s Ground Control.” 7 to 9pm.
- Saturday of course is the Sasquatch Brew Fest (see above).
- Sunday is the recovery day! Accordingly, Falling Sky will offer up a “Recovery Hash Bar” (hash the food, duh) from 11am to 3pm: “After a long day of drinking at the Sasquatch Brewfest we all need a day to recover. Join us at the deli for a bowl of your favorite hash. Choose from Smoked Salmon, Pastrami or Farmer’s Market Veggie $9”
- Sunday starting at noon, the Brewery Bike Tour is touring Eugene, starting at Claim 52: “Join other beer and bike loving friends on a brewery bike tour starting at Claim 52 Taproom (Tyinn) and ending at The Abbey (Springfield). Each participating brewery will provide riders with a free taster and a stamp on their Eugene Beer Week coaster to redeem at The Abbey for a free t-shirt (100 t-shirts available).”
- On that Beer Bike Tour, Oakshire is offering a sneak peek of their Ride Your Bike Red Ale: “Tapping our Ride Your Bike Double Red Ale ahead of the official release as a part of our stop on the Brewery Bike Tour. Free bike tune-ups on site!”
- 16 Tons Taphouse is holding a beer garage sale Sunday starting at noon, “with special beers we have cellared for months. Grab some gems that aren’t around anymore.”
- And finally at 5pm 16 Tons is hosting a Beer Week Bottle Share as the final event of the week: “Bring a bottle or two and share with friends that enjoy good beer and good people. The last few bottle shares have been awesome, we’ve drank beer from Hill Farmstead, Sante Adarius, Block 15, Oakshire, Upright, Pelican, Firestone Walker, De Garde, Evil Twin, Mikkeller, To-ol, and more. Bring a worthy beer that you think will impress.”
The Growler Guys on Bend’s Westside (located in the Chevron gas station) is celebrating their 2nd anniversary Saturday, June 6! “The last 2 years have been a blast! We want to thank our customers and community by throwing a party. You and your friends are invited! Here is some of the excitement you can expect: First 50 customers get a free $9.99 Fill Coupon, Raffle Prizes – Electric Smoker, Hammock and more, Beer Garden, FREE BBQ, Music, and Games – Corn Hole, Ladder Golf and a Water Pong Tournament.”
Golden Valley Brewery (McMinnville): It’s their own Firkin Friday today as well: “We will be tapping a cask of Double Dry Hopped Bald Peak IPA! Dry hopped once in the fermenter and again in the cask for massive pine and citrus hop aroma!”