Here’s the Oregon beer news for Thursday, the 4th of June. As usual, I’ll be periodically updating this post throughout the day, so check back often. If you have news to share, please contact me and I can get that posted as well.
McMenamins Old Church & Pub (Wilsonville): They have a special beer tasting in their (new) “Hop Solo Series,” a series of single-hopped pale ales released each month to showcase that particular hop. Today starting at 5pm it’s Simcoe Solo: “This month we’re featuring Simcoe hops. A relatively newer variety, Simcoe hops have quickly risen to fame due to their wonderful balance of citrus and pine aromas, good storage ability, and high alpha acid content. They perform beautifully in a large variety of American craft beers particularly IPAs.” It’s 6% with 50 IBUs so a good chance to experience this popular hop.
Dragon’s Gate Brewery (Milton-Freewater) has expansion news! “Our new brewhouse is here! After 8 years of planning, our expansion is becoming a reality. Thank you to everyone who loves Dragon’s Gate Brewery!” The picture they posted is of a nice-sized system, maybe 5 barrels, maybe more? Hard to tell but it’s nice to see their hard work paying off.
Eugene Beer Week soldiers on today, with lots of events taking place:
- The Bier Stein is holding a Blind IPA Tasting all day long today: “Sometimes people say “I’m a _______ guy (or gal),” inserting their brewery of choice in the blank. Well, we challenge you to pick it out simply by your palate. We will have eight local IPAs on tap; the first five people to guess a flight of four correctly will get a prize!”
- The Eugene Beers Made By Walking is actually taking place today from 6 to 8pm, featuring a walk in the Berggren Watershed Conservation Area with Claim 52 Brewing, Elk Horn Brewing, Falling Sky Brewing, and Viking Braggot. Beers brewed from this (and other) walks will be tapped November 5 at The Bier Stein. (Had it wrong yesterday!)
- 16 Tons Taphouse is hosting a Beer Mixer all day today: “Beer Mixer: Blend, blend, blend, blend! We’ll have a special taplist of beer blends to choose from. Ever heard of blending beer? It’s a brilliant idea, come down and try some special blends made by our beertenders. Things like a Bro-mosa, a Big Bro-mosa, a FramGose, Café con leche, Eastern Front, La Venom, plus many more.”
- Hop Valley Brewing is holding a tasting at the Willamette Market of Choice today from 2 to 4pm.
- Ninkasi Brewing has a meet the brewer with Rich Masella today from 3 to 5pm at their tasting room: “Meet Ninkasi’s head brewer, Rich, and discuss the creation of his Rare & Delicious Beer, the Rich’s Brew!” And, they have another session of their sensory classes starting at 5pm, focusing on the beers of Germany: “Learn about various German beers, focusing on the defining attributes and the history of each style we explore. We will taste and discuss several German styles of beer, including some Ninkasi beers. RSVP Required, 10 seats available, call: 541-344-2739 for reservation”
- Falling Sky Brewing: Both locations have a “new and interesting” beer release today at 4pm.
- Claim 52 Brewing has their own beer release today at The Abbey at Sprout starting at 4pm: “Scrivener’s Sour Release & Oregon Wild’s Brewshed Alliance Benefit. Collaborative event with Beers Made By Walking!”
- Mead! Nectar Creek is having a mead release party at the Tap and Growler from 5 to 8pm: “Nectar Creek Honeywine Reserve #4 Release Party and Tap Attack. Strawberry Rhubarb Mead aged in Pinot Noir Barrels plus several other Nectar Creek Meads.”
- Growler Nation is hosting Redmond’s Wild Ride Brewing for a tap takeover from 5 to 7pm.
- Like bowling? Strike City Bowling is hosting both Ninkasi and Oakshire Brewing for a Bowlorama & Beer tap takeover: “Tap Takeover with Oakshire/ Ninkasi at the spare room pub featuring single batch and R&D beers from each. Bowling with prizes and the opportunity to bowl with your favorite Ninkasi/ Oakshire personalities.” From 6 to 9pm.
- First National Taphouse is hosting Pacific City’s Pelican Brewing tonight starting at 7pm. With Pelican’s Umbrella IPA and live music.
Jeff Alworth breaks a huge story for Deschutes Brewery today: Oregon brewing legend Karl Ockert is hired by Deschutes! From Jeff’s post and press release: “Deschutes Brewery today announced the hiring of Karl Ockert as Director of Brewery Operations. In this position, Ockert will use his 30-plus years experience in the brewing industry to oversee and guide all functions and activities related to brewing, cellaring, packaging, safety, continuous improvement, maintenance and quality control.” Ockert was the founding brewer at BridgePort Brewing and as such has been one of the state’s most influential brewers. Big news!