Here’s the news in Oregon beer from around the web for Tuesday, June 2. As usual, I’ll be periodically updating this post throughout the day, so check back often for the latest news. If you have news to share, please contact me and I can get that updated as well.
Belmont Station (Portland): Today they are hosting Spokane’s No-Li Brewing for the bottle release and tasting of their new Defacto beer: “Spokane’s own No-Li Brewhouse just released its Defacto Barrel Aged Imperial Black IPA and we are celebrating with a release party and a bottle tasting. No-Li will be in-house with a tasting of the Defacto, a blend of Dry Fly Wheat Whiskey and Triticale Whiskey barrel-aged Wrecking Ball Imperial Stout and Jet Star Imperial IPA. They also will be tasting the Wrecking Ball and the Jet Star so you can taste the original beers that went into Defacto (and maybe even make a little blend of your own)! Additionally, in the biercafe, we will be pouring another new No-Li beer, Crony, a Northwest Brown Ale dry-hopped with Simcoe hops.” It runs from 5 to 7pm.
McMenamins Fulton Pub & Brewery (Portland) has a limited-edition beer tasting today starting at 5pm featuring what’s becoming a summertime staple: Nebraska Shandy. “This golden hued ale uses Cascade hops in modest amounts to create a subtle flavor and bitterness. It is then infused with refreshing lemonade before making its way to your pint glass. The combination is citrusy, slightly sweet, and sure to refresh!” Only 4.52% and I’ll bet super drinkable.
Eugene Beer Week continues today, with the following things going on:
- The Bier Stein has a beer dinner with Ninkasi Brewing today from 6 to 8:30pm: “Our third bi-monthly beer pairing dinner features six beers from Ninkasi paired up with delectable treats from our kitchen. Get your tickets at the counter asap! $60 includes gratuity and a $10 donation to Disciples of Dirt, a local mountain biking nonprofit.” Check out the menu here.
- Ninkasi is also holding a meet the brewer event with head brewer Tim Sanborn at their tasting room from 3 to 5pm, as well as doing a tasting with Market of Choice from 4 to 6pm, and finally a very cool event—a sensory class at their main admin building starting at 5pm: “Learn about the raw ingredients that go into making beer and discover the mechanics of tasting and sensory evaluation. We will taste and discuss five different Ninkasi beers that showcase some of the most important qualities of their ingredients. RSVP Required, 10 seats available, call: 541-344-2739 for reservation”
- 16 Tons Taphouse is hosting a tap takeover with Bend’s Boneyard Beer all day long. “All out Boneyard Tap Takeover with Suge Knite Imperial Stout, Armored Fist Imperial CDA, Notorious Triple IPA and up to 12 total Boneyard beers.”
- Hop Valley Brewing has a “Guru Tasting Event” at their Eugene tasting room all day today: “Come into our Tasting Room to see how well you know our beer, prizes awarded for the beer gurus. Prepare your palate, here come the Hops!” They also have a tasting at the Downtown Athletic Club from 6 to 8pm.
- The Growler Guys is hosting Redmond’s Wild Ride Brewing for a tap takeover from 5 to 7pm: “Wild Ride Brewing will take over Growler Guys with 4 beers on tap. Come try our Hopperhead IPA, Big Booty Golden Ale, Shades Black Ale and the release of one of our Seasonal Brews!”
- McMenamins High Street Brewery is holding quite possibly the coolest event I’ve seen lately: a Dr. Who Beerfest from 6 to 10pm! “Featuring special Dr. Who themed beers from Sam Bonds, Planktown, Crystal Ballroom, and High St. (perhaps a few others as well). Brewers (at least 1) will be on hand to talk all things beer and Dr. Who.”
- The Tap and Growler, in addition to hosting their week-long blind tasting for hoppy beers, today will have Viking Braggot in the house for the release of their collaboration brew, Hoppy Beet, from 6 to 8pm: “The Tap & Growler and Viking Braggot’s collaboration brew, The Hoppy Beet, is back with our newest dry hopped version! The tapping and release party will be at 6:00p in conjunction with T&G’s weekly group run.”
- Falling Sky Brewing is holding an off-flavor sensory class tonight starting at 6:30pm: “$10 per person, limited to 15 people. Tired of all of those delicious Eugene beers? Come and learn about how beer can go wrong, with spiked in off flavors to help you learn how to tell when a beer is contaminated, had an unhealthy fermentation and several other potential problems.
For homebrewers and beer connoisseurs alike! Email email@example.com to reserve your spot.”
- Sam Bond’s Brewing is holding a fun event called “THE Most Interesting Beverage” (nice nod to Dos Equis commercials) from 6:30 to 8:30pm: “Receive swag and tasting room discounts for every interesting beer related fact you share while having a conversation with our Head Brewer Jim Montgomery.”
- First National Taphouse is hosting Lompoc Brewing for “Trivia Tuesday” starting at 7pm: “Lompoc is here to sponsor First National Taphouse’s Tuesday Trivia Night. Lompoc beers on tap and bottled. Free Trivia, and prizes for the winners!”
Cascade Brewing (Portland): Tonight’s Tap It Tuesday at the Barrel House at 6pm is “Live” Gin Gimlet: “Yet another installment in our collection of cocktail-inspired sour beers, the Gin Gimlet is a sour Blond ale aged in an oak wine barrel with lime peel and juniper berries for 14 months. Flavors of fresh lime marry with the herbaceous notes from the juniper in this playful take on a classic drink. 7.1% | $7.5 glass | $2.5 taster”
And they also have a very limited beer on tap right now: “We have just tapped a very limited amount of Mimosetta, a collaboration from the Commons & Green Bench brewing. This is a great brett beer with kumquats added during fermentation, perfect for the season. Cheers!”