Here’s the news in Oregon beer for this final Friday (and final weekend!) of May. TGIF! As usual, I’ll be periodically updating this post throughout the day with the latest news, so check back often. If you have news to share, please contact me and I can get that posted as well.
Hopworks Urban Brewery (Portland) participated in a very cool historic beer recreation that will be available to try this weekend; here are some details: “A couple months ago we were invited to participate in an unusual collaboration between the Archaeology Roadshow at Portland State University and the Oregon Hops and Brewing Archives (OHBA). The resulting beer is a pre-prohibition Lager based on a recipe from 1883. The beer is available at the Archaeology Roadshow this weekend and will soon be on tap at our brewpubs. We’ll fill you in on how the beer came to be; the community connection in this collaboration made the whole experiment a lot of fun for the brewery.” The Archaeology Roadshow is taking place tomorrow, Saturday the 30th, from 10 to 3pm, on the Portland State University campus.
McMenamins Bagdad Theater (Portland) is celebrating its 88th birthday this weekend, so on Sunday the 31st they are holding a block party to celebrate with specials all day: “Bagdad Ale pints, $4.25 property-wide all day. Greater Trumps (opening at noon on this day). Edgefield Winery Port tasting 2 p.m. ’til 5 p.m.” Not to mention birthday cake, special beer and distillery tastings from 2 to 5pm, and more. Sure to be a fun party!
Central Oregon Beer Week wraps up this weekend,
- Broken Top Bottle Shop‘s Beer Geek Week Day finishes out with 3 great days of tastings and live music: with Day 8 (today, Friday) featuring Oblivion Brewing, RiverBend Brewing, and Ninkasi Brewing; Day 9 Saturday has Wild Ride Brewing, Mazama Brewing, and Logsdon Farmhouse Ales; and Day 10 Sunday has Payette Brewing, Hop Valley Brewing, and Oregon Spirit Distillers. Great live music as well!
- The High Desert Museum has the final beer tasting event tonight (Friday), their Open ‘Til Dark event from 5 to 9pm where you can taste great beers and get a final viewing of their Brewing Culture exhibit. Cost is $5 to enter, and beer tasting packages are $5.
- Three Creeks Brewing is hosting the grand opening of their new production facility tonight (Friday) from 5 to 8pm. “Stop by for some tastings, brewery tours, lite appetizers, music and more.”
- Bend Brewing Company‘s Brewer’s Choice Tap Takeover continues with killer selections of beer on tap, picked by brewers Ian Larkin and Josh Harned.
- Cascade Lakes Brewing has all-week happy hour beer prices continuing today at both their Bend Lodge and Redmond’s 7th Street Brew House.
- GoodLife Brewing has extended their usual Locals Wednesday $3 GoodLife pint deals to run all week through Sunday—Locals Week!
- Juniper Brewing continues with Tap Room specials all week long.
- RiverBend Brewing has weekend releases of two beers—300 Days of Sun and Oregonized Love IPA, along with beer specials.
- Silver Moon Brewing is teaming up with Bend Brew Daddy to hold a special can and drive Saturday and Sunday to benefit the Bethlehem Inn. “Bring your redeemable bottles and cans, canned food, paper products, seasonal clothing and your loving and giving spirit to Silver Moon Brewing on May 30 and 31 from Noon to 5pm!” Get $1 off a pint for donating!
- Finally, the Central Oregon Hop Growers (spearheaded by Smith Rock Hop Farm) is hosting a Bend Ale Trail Hike on Sunday the 31st, all day from 11am to 7pm. It sounds pretty epic: “Starting at Cascade Lakes at 11am, the hike will cover at least 8 breweries (possibly 11) while discussing hop growing and brewing in Central Oregon.”
Portland’s Saraveza is teaming up with Ex Novo Brewing tonight to celebrate with a fiesta and put on some tasty beers! “We get loco with Ex Novo to celebrate the now in regular rotation for summer “Most Interesting Mexican Lager”! We’ll be pouring draft of this latest batch as well as their collaboration Rye IPA with de Garde Brewing “Wonder Twins”, brewed with Nelson & Amarillo Hops AND if you haven’t tried it yet, now’s your chance to get “Jacked Up”, a tart Farmhouse ale made with 8 gallons of Jack Fruit! We’ll have our beloved taco pasties and some people may be sporting sombreros?”
Ninkasi Brewing (Eugene) will be at Portland’s Roscoe’s tonight for a Ground Control Space Beer party from 5 to 9pm: “Roscoe’s will featuring Ninkasi’s Ground Control: our remarkable stout whose yeast had survived a trip to the Stratosphere! This is where the idea for Space Beer was first thought of….Other delicious Ninkasi and “Space” themed beer being poured also! The founders of Ninkasi: Jamie Floyd and Nikos Ridge will be present to get Interstellar with y’all!”
Don’t forget, at Crux Fermentation Project in Bend this Saturday the 30th, both myself and Brian Yaeger are teaming up for a special dual book signing from 2 to 4pm, with both our books Bend Beer and Oregon Breweries! Be there! Brian will also be at the High Desert Museum event tonight, and at Worthy Brewing on Sunday from 1 to 3pm, selling books at both.