Here’s the Oregon beer news for Thursday, the 28th of May. As usual, I’ll be periodically updating this post throughout the day, so check back often. And if you have news to share, please contact me and I can get that updated as well.
The Bier Stein (Eugene) is holding a special horizontal tasting of Ballast Point Brewing‘s various Sculpin IPAs today from 5 to 8pm: “Go fish! And make sure you bring some beer. Ballast Point’s Sculpin IPA, named for an adaptable, funny looking, bottom feeding fish, comes in many forms. We will be tapping the Original, Grapefruit, Habanero, and a specially made firkin of Grapefruit Sculpin with grapefruit added directly to the cask! Come in and grab a flight and hang out with our Ballast Point rep Skip.” Ballast Point is probably my favorite San Diego brewery, this will be a great tasting event.
McMenamins on Broadway (Portland) has a special beer tasting and meet the brewer event tonight starting at 5pm featuring the McMurtrey’s Respite Scottish Export Ale that was at the Tavern & Pool yesterday: “The Scottish Export (formerly known as 80 Shilling) is an old, durable style that will satisfies all pub-goers looking for a brew light on ABV yet full of flavor. We used Scottish Ale yeast to ensure authenticity of the brew, and fermented it with the care and attention of an ancient Pict. Named after our brewer’s Scottish ancestry and his affinity for a good spot to kick up his feet and enjoy a brew this ale definitely lands on the malty side of the beer spectrum with a very restrained dose of hops and rich, bready finish. Sláinte!”
- Broken Top Bottle Shop‘s Beer Geek Week Day 7 features tastings with Three Creeks Brewing, Plank Town Brewing, and Double Mountain Brewery, and live music with The Cutmen. Beer tasting is from 5 to 8pm and music is from 7 to 9pm.
- The Platypus Pub is hosting both Sunriver Brewing and Oakshire Brewing tonight for a special tasting—brewers Brett Thomas and Tyler West (who both started at Silver Moon Brewing) will be together again!
- Deschutes Brewery has three “Bomb Burger Specials” in their Pub today to celebrate National Hamburger Day, along with a Cheesy Hamburger Soup and special dessert. Also: “Special guest Matt Borlen (owner of Borlen Beef Company) will be hanging out at our pub from 12-2pm to talk about how our spent grain is fed to his cows to make the tasty burgers we serve at our pub.”
- Bend Brewing Company‘s Brewer’s Choice Tap Takeover continues with killer selections of beer on tap, picked by brewers Ian Larkin and Josh Harned.
- Cascade Lakes Brewing has all-week happy hour beer prices continuing today at both their Bend Lodge and Redmond’s 7th Street Brew House.
- GoodLife Brewing has extended their usual Locals Wednesday $3 GoodLife pint deals to run all week through Sunday—Locals Week!
- Juniper Brewing continues with Tap Room specials all week long.
- RiverBend Brewing is hosting tastings with Bendistillery, Atlas Cider, and Buena Bucha Kombucha, and features live music with Jones Road, all from 6:30 to 9:30pm.
- Silver Moon Brewing is holding a “Grilled Cheese Social” tonight from 6 to 9pm—grilled cheese and beer pairing, for $6.
- Three Creeks Brewing: tonight is their Brewer’s Dinner, a “four course meal that has been carefully paired with our finest ales by our head brewer and chef as they walk you through each course.” Cost is $50 per person, call (541)549-1963 for reservations.
Ecliptic Brewing (Portland) will be in the house at The BeerMongers tonight for the release of the collaboration beer they brewed with Dogfish Head Brewing during the CBC last month, Sagittarius B2N. From Brewpublic: “Sagittarius B2N is a saison brewed with grapefruit, lemon and hibiscus. As with the other beers from Ecliptic Brewing, Sagittarius B2N takes its name from the celestial theme that runs through all of the beers at Ecliptic. Sagittarius B2 is known to be a large molecular cloud near the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. Sagittarius B2N is a bigger saison at 7.0% ABV and will be available in 22 ounce bottles and on draft throughout Ecliptic Brewing’s distribution footprint.” The party starts at 5pm and there’s a killer tap takeover lined up as well.
Buoy Beer (Astoria): Tonight from 5 to 10pm they will be at The Woodsman Tavern in Portland for a tap takeover: “Come throw down some pints and mingle with the brewer at The Woodsman Tavern/ Buoy Beer Brewers Series event. We will takeover half of the taps and showcase seven draft beers. Try our 4 mainlines: Czech Pilsner, NW Red Ale, IPA, and Oatmeal Stout; plus 3 seasonal beers Single Hop Centennial IPA, Red X Amber Ale, and Helles Lager. The Woodsman Tavern will have their full menu available that evening, including a full seafood raw bar.”