Happy Friday! There’s a bunch of things going on this weekend in Oregon beer, so let’s get right to it. As usual, I’ll be periodically updating this post throughout the day with the latest news, so check back often. If you have news to share, please contact me and I can get that posted as well.
Cascade Brewing‘s Sour Flower Fest continues through the weekend, showcasing “more than half a dozen new small batch blends made with floral ingredients.” Flower-infused and inspired sour beers will be on tap throughout the weekend at both the Barrel House and the Raccoon Lodge.
Central Oregon Beer Week begins today, and runs for ten days through Memorial Day weekend. For each day I’ll post the listed events as so:
- Immersion Brewing is hosting the kickoff party starting at 3pm, with live music, a special firkin of beer, beer specials, and more.
- Worthy Brewing has a release party for Stoker Red Ale to kick off COBW, starting at 5pm. “$6.00 Gets you a Stoker trucker hat, can of Stoker, a Koozie AND a raffle ticket for awesome prizes!”
- Broken Top Bottle Shop starts off their Beer Geek Week with a beer tasting with GoodLife Brewing and Oblivion Brewing, and live music with Victory Swig.
- RiverBend Brewing is releasing two new beers for COBW, Against the Grade SMaSH dry-hopped blonde, and Life’s a Peach and Then You Die (NEIPA). “Tapping one when we open on Friday, and the second at 5pm. Come hang out, meet the brewers, and drink great BEER!”
- Bend’s Whole Foods Market is offering 20% off all beer and cider for COBW on Friday.
McMenamins Old St. Francis School in Bend is having their O’Kane’s Garage Series release, not listed officially as part of COBW but I’d count it. The beer is Firefly Kölsch: “For those who have been fortunate enough to witness the wonder of fireflies, you know that for a few months during summer evenings, this tiny critter can fully capture the imagination. Unfortunately, almost none are found here in the Pacific Northwest…until now. Both radiate a bright golden glare and both are symbols of summer, with magical qualities that can fascinate and captivate. Firefly Kölsch is a true summer beer. It’s a crisp, thirst-quenching Golden Ale made as true to this unique German style as possible. Using only German Malts, this beer provides a flavorful, yet surprisingly subtle malt profile. Tettnanger Hops impart a distinct, yet extremely smooth hop character. Collect Firefly Kölsch in a jar, glass, pint or pitcher and add a little light and magic to your summer evening.” The release takes place from 5 to 8pm.
The Bier Stein (Eugene) is throwing a 21st birthday party for Pelican Brewing from 5 to 8pm: We’re sure you remember (at least some of) your 21st birthday… well, it’s not everyday a brewery celebrates its own 21st birthday, so join us to toast Pelican Brewing Company on the occasion, and enjoy a raffle for swag and a beer-pong-like challenge to win some sweet gear from the Oregon coast brewery. Our rep Ralph will be here along with one of the brewers at Pelican. Bottles of Doryman’s Dark will be on sale this night only.
We’ll have Doryman’s Dark, Cherry Poppin’ Dory, Father of All Tsunamis, Blackbird Schwarzbier, and Jarrylo IPA on tap. Cheers!”
Baerlic Brewing (Portland) has two new bottle releases today starting at 2pm: Test Flight Session IPA, and WoodWorker Black Grove Bourbon Aged Stout. Both will be available in bottles to go and on draft.
GoodLife Brewing is holding a Celebration of Life for brewer and co-owner Curt Plants who recently passed away suddenly. It will run from 3 to 8pm, following a memorial service earlier in the day. “Celebration of Life Memorial Service will take place at 11 a.m. Saturday, May 20, at the Mountain View High School Auditorium, 2755 NE 27th St. Bend, OR 97702. Seating is limited and The celebration will continue at GoodLife Brewing Company following the service at 3:00 p.m to 8:00 p.m. For those unable to attend there is a live stream available http://handinhandproductions.net/curt-plants-memorial/ As well for those who have asked how they could help. Please take a look at the Go Fund Me set up for Curt’s Medical and Memorial costs. For those who can give in any way, any amount helps! https://www.gofundme.com/curtplants”
Central Oregon Beer Week events continue:
- Wild Ride Brewing is celebrating their third anniversary all day long with live music and a new beer release.
- Broken Top Bottle Shop will be featuring Monkless Belgian Ales and Craft Kitchen and Brewery starting at 5pm, with live music from Dingo Factory.
- Crow’s Feet Commons is hosting a free show and will feature the Bend Brewing Company official COBW IPA on tap.
Alesong Brewing (Eugene): Their Spring Bottle Release event takes place on Saturday from 1 to 7pm: “Come join us as we celebrate another season with another round of bottled beers! On Saturday, May 20th from 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., we are hosting our fourth release of barrel-aged beers with a nod towards the coming sunny days of summer. The new beers will be available for tasting for the first time and bottle pickup for mailing list members. Additionally, in celebration of their collaboration with the Eugene Symphony and its upcoming SymFest, a classical string ensemble will perform during the release. We’re all excited about this release as it includes a few really fun projects, (including Brian’s wedding beer!) and are also looking forward to warmer weather and the beginning of fruit beer season!”
The COBW event on the list right now is Broken Top Bottle Shop’s Beer Geek Week tasting and music for Sunday, featuring 10 Barrel Brewing and Wild Ride Brewing pouring beers starting at 5pm, and live music with Eric Leadbetter.