Happy Valentine’s Day! There are definitely many things going on today and many places are hosting special menus so check their websites or Facebook pages for the latest updates. I’ll try to list the special beer-themed items here if they are above and beyond a standard dinner. As usual, I’ll be periodically updating this post throughout the day, so check back often for the latest news. And if you have news to share, please contact me and I can get that posted as well.
Brewpublic‘s annual My Beery Valentine returns with Bazi Bierbrasserie hosting: “Taking place from 5:00 to 9:00pm, My Beery Valentine will feature an amazing Valentine’s Day lineup of ten beers and one cider. A few of the highlights include a debut collaboration beer from Little Beast Brewing and Culmination Brewing. New West Cider made a cider with candy sweethearts and Palm will be providing a complimentary chocolate pairing with its Spéciale Belgian Pale Ale until the chocolates run out.” Bazi will have some specials foods for the dessert pairings and specialty themed cocktails as well. The draft list features 11 beers selected for the holiday, and for $8 you can get a taster flight of any four.
Thunder Island Brewing (Cascade Locks): For Valentine’s Day they have a special For the Love of Beer! release and live music from 5 to 7pm: “Come celebrate Valentine’s Day with Thunder Island! We’ve got he special Blood of the Unicorn as our feature beer release plus the beers that we supposed to be released for the Northwest Resolutions beer release!”
Portland’s Imperial Bottle Shop is hosting a vertical tasting of Crux Fermentation Project‘s Tough Love Imperial Stout paired with Moonstruck Chocolates from 7 to 10pm this evening: “Have dessert on Valentine’s day in style with a 3-year Crux Fermentation Project Tough Love Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout vertical paired with chocolates from Moonstruck Chocolate. Pairings include a 4 oz pour of each beer with chocolates as follows: 2014 Tough Love with Bull Run Distillery Temperance Trader Straight Bourbon Whiskey Truffle; 2015 Tough Love with Conquistador Hazelnut Praline; and 2016 Tough Love with Milk Chocolate Vanilla Sea Salt Caramel. While we’ll be serving the pairing from 7 till close, we highly recommend that you arrive around 8:15, as Moonstruck Master Chocolatier Julian Rose will be speaking about the pairings at 8:30. All three pairing will cost $17. We’ll also have Crux’s new PCT Porter and Gimme Mo IPA on tap – add those 2 to your pairing sampler tray for only $2.”
Baerlic Brewing (Portland) has a new beer release out today, Black Grove Imperial Stout: “Originally we brewed this beer for Horse Brass Pub 40th Anniversary and we loved it so much we brewed a boatload of it—some for draft now, some for bottles now, and some in Bourbon Barrels for later!! Bring your favorite Valentine and warm up with a big ole cuddly baer hug of a beer!” This gets tapped at 4pm.
Cascade Brewing (Portland): Their Tap It Tuesday today is appropriately Valentine-themed: “We’ve created Bouquet of Flowers, a sour wheat ale aged for 12 months then infused with chamomile flowers, meadowsweet flowers, rose petals and a dash of honey. This unique blend offers flavors of chamomile tea and lemon citrus, finishing with a hint of rose and a light honeycomb sweetness.” Get your Bouquet of Flowers at the Barrel House tonight at 6pm!
And, Cascade Brewing has two specialty releases coming out today:
- Sang Du Chêne 2015: “Releasing Sang Du Chêne 2015 at opening today! Meaning “blood of the oak,” Sang du Chêne features sour strong blond and triple ales aged in three large format oak vessels: foudres, puncheons and hogsheads. The oak influences provide flavors of toasted sugars, vanilla and spice, complemented by the bright acidity and fruity character of the beer.”
- Diesel 2016: “Today at Noon is the release of Diesel 2016, an Imperial Stout aged up to seven months in Heaven Hill bourbon and Pinot barrels with vanilla beans, resulting in a decadent cornucopia of flavors and aromas – including dark chocolate, vanillin and licorice – with bourbon soaked dark fruit and tobacco undertones.”
Deschutes Brewery (Bend): Tuesdays are Community Pints benefits days at the Deschutes pubs! $1 from every pint sold at both locations all day long goes to benefit a designated non-profit for the month. For February, the Bend Pub is benefiting Action Through Advocacy: “Action Through Advocacy is a local non-profit organization helping foster and adoptive families succeed by supporting those who care for and mentor foster children on a daily basis.” And at the Portland Pub, they are benefiting Sparks of Hope.
And don’t forget Deschutes‘ Valentine’s specials:
- For the Love of The Abyss at the Bend Pub: “The Abyss is back in all its glory! From Saturday, February 11th through Valentines Day, Tuesday, February 14th, we will be pouring all your favorite Abyss varieties, available together in one sample tray for $22! Snifters of each for $7! Delicious food pairing specials are also planned and ready to go! Head down to the pub this weekend and warm up with The Abyss!”
- #TheAbyssIsMyValentine at the Portland Pub: “Single? The Abyss is always here for you. Not sure where to take your sweetie on the 14th? Single + coupled beer fans unite! (Cue Barry White’s “You’re The First, The Last, My Everything”) In honor of one of our most-prized beers, we’re celebrating our LOVE for THE ABYSS!”
Three Mugs Brewing (Hillsboro) has a new beer out for the holiday: Damsel’s Valentines Desire Strawberry White Chocolate Ale. “Adding strawberries to our crowd favorite white chocolate ale! For a limited time we will be offering Damsel’s Valentines Desire strawberry white chocolate ale!!!!” Get it on tap from 3 to 9pm.
Here’s a rundown of Valentine’s beer dinners taking place tonight:
- Three Creeks Brewing (Sisters): Dinner for two for $35/couple, no reservations necessary, starting at 5pm. Three courses paired with beer (of course).
- Rock Bottom Brewery (Portland): Chef and Brewer’s Dinner from 7 to 9pm. Five courses with beer.
- Ordnance Brewing (Boardman): They are doing a dinner with Boda’s Kitchen in Hood River from 6:30 to 9pm. “Four courses, each designed with love by Chef Boda and paired with a special beer from Ordnance Brewing.”
- Conversion Brewing (Lebanon): “Love is in the Ale” dinner starting at 6pm. $80 per couple, and call ahead 541-259-2337 for reservations.
- Immersion Brewing (Bend): Four-course Valentine’s dinner, $75 per couple. “Each couple will receive a 22oz. bottle of our Valentine’s beer, a Raspberry Chocolate Porter.”
Bend Brewing Company‘s Big Bold Beer & Dessert Tasting Flight continues and is perfect for Valentine’s Day: “Calling all BIG & BOLD beer lovers- we’ve got the tasting flight for you! We’ll be offering five of our richest porters brewed throughout the years on a single tasting flight served with chocolate covered strawberries.”
Ground Breaker Brewing (Portland): Their Dessert Bites & Beer Flights concludes today, starting at 4pm: “A Trio of Desserts: Red Velvet Cake with Orange & Goat Cheese Frosting, Snickerdoodle Cookie with Espresso Streusel, and Imperial Darkness Chocolate Mousse with Huckleberry Candy. Paired with 4oz Tasters of: Red Velvet Ale, Coffee Pale Ale, and Imperial Darkness. $14”
The new Beer Belly in downtown Portland presents their fourth annual Beer Cider Love from 5 to 9pm this evening: “Celebrate Pacific Northwest craft with two of the region’s most beloved beverage producers and their ambassadors at the fourth annual Beer Cider Love event 5-9pm Tuesday, February 14th at Portland’s new downtown hot spot Beer Belly. Fort George Brewery’s Tim Ensign and Finnriver Farm & Cidery’s Jana Daisy-Ensign join forces for one incredible evening, featuring a specially curated draft list paired with fare by none other than Lardo and Grassa co-owner, Rick Gencarelli at Beer Belly. Five mouth-watering pairings match a selection of five artisan beers and ciders including an exclusive, one-off draft only collaboration. No reservations required, food pairings available until sold out. Food Pairing Flight $15, Beverage Pairing Flight $15.”