Here’s the beer news from around Oregon for Tuesday, January 17th, and the snow is falling today! Here in Bend we’re predicted to get some 8-12 inches by tomorrow and though that seems unlikely, it’s still a good time to curl up with a nice stout or better yet, a barleywine of some kind. In the meantime, I’ll be updating the news throughout the day so if you have something to share, contact me and I’ll get it posted.
The Oregon Brewers Guild posts that applications are now being accepted for Falconer Foundation Brewing Scholarships: there are two being offered for 2012, one a web-based “Concise Course in Brewing Technology” open to brewers and individuals planning to enter the brewing industry, the other is for one of three Web-based modules from the International Diploma in Brewing Technology Program and is open to professional brewers only. All applications must be received by March 23rd; only people from Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Northern California, Alaska, and Hawaii can apply. So what are you waiting for?
Bailey’s Taproom (Portland) is holding their 3rd annual Cellarfest this Saturday, January 21st: from 4 to 11:30pm you’ll get the chance to drink some beers that they’ve been “sitting on” (cellaring) for awhile, including such gems as 2007 Lucky Lab Old Yeller Barleywine, 2009 Lagunitas Brown Shugga, and Deschutes Black Butte XXI. There’s no admission cost or souvenir glasses, you can either purchase a 4oz. or 10oz. pour of any of the available beers—but no sample trays. Their event listing/beer list is here.
Speaking of Bailey’s Taproom, Draft Magazine has named it and several more (Portland) beer bars as among America’s 100 best beer bars for 2012. The others are APEX, Belmont Station, the Green Dragon, the Horse Brass, and Saraveza. Congratulations to all!
The Love of Beer—the movie about women in the beer industry, prominently featuring Tonya Cornett (formerly) of Bend Brewing and Sarah Pederson of Saraveza—is coming to Eugene next month, and Ninkasi will be a part of it: “The Love of Beer featuring women in craft brewing is featured in two screenings at David Minor Theater the evening of Feb 9. If you are coming into to Eugene for the KLCC Brewfest, show up a day early and come hang out with us! Beer and food available in the theater. Ninkasi tastings 30 minutes previous to each screening.” Incidentally, the KLCC Microbrew Festival is taking place February 10 and 11 this year.
Upcoming tastings, releases, and “Meet the Brewer” events:
- Lucky Lab (Portland): Their Honey Bear Braggot tasting starts today at 4pm at their Beer Hall on NW Quimby. You don’t see too many braggots being commercially brewed so it would definitely be worth checking out.
- Belmont Station (Portland): Today from 6 to 8pm they’re welcoming Moa Brewing from New Zealand. Four beers will be pouring.
- Ninkasi (Eugene) will be in Bend tomorrow night, the 18th: “Tomorrow night we will be at the Reed Pub for a Ninkasi Night! Come down to 1141 SE Railroad St from 5:30 to 7:30. Aaron and Ryan will have shwag to give out.”
- Hopworks Urban Brewery (Portland): “Today at both Hopworks locations we’re officially releasing Huck IPA, the Best of Show winning beer out of 277 entries from the Oregon Brew Crew Fall Classic. Winning homebrewer John Huck will be at Hopworks on Powell around 5:00, so stop in, try his beer and say hi.” (via Facebook)
- Seven Brides Brewing (Silverton): They will be as Scottys in Tigard this evening for a meet the brewer starting at 6pm.
Happy hours, specials, and cheap pours:
- Cascade Brewing (Portland): Today’s Tap It Tuesday features “Gold Yeller”: “This NW style sour ale is one of our lightest offerings. Subtle aromas of honey and light bright lemon greet you in the nose. Soft malt and a lemony tartness on the palate give way to multiple layers of sour and oak that dance around the finish of this beer. 7.1% ABV / $6 glass.” Tapping at 6pm.
- Bend Brewing (Bend): Tonight is Locals Night, with $2.75 pints from 4pm until closing.
- Silver Moon Brewing (Bend): This week’s Growler Power Hour ($5 growler fills from 4 to 6pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays) features Hound’s Tooth Amber and Badlands ESB.
- Lompoc Brewing (Portland): It’s Tightwad Tuesday at the Fifth Quadrant and the Hedge House, featuring $2.50 regular pints all day long.
- Three Creeks (Sisters): They have $3.25 pints all day.