Brewing pumpkin

Last night I finally got around to making the pumpkin ale that I talked about way back in November (the pumpkin was frozen, so I was still able to use it). I followed my recipe here, with a couple of variations: I used American 2-row malt for the partial mash instead of Vienna, used 20°L Crystal instead of 40, and I’m going to wait until bottling to add the vanilla and spices.

The session went well, although my hydrometer reading gave me a whopping original gravity of 1.080! That seems very high to me, so either I underestimated the amount of partial mashing I did—perhaps inadvertantly brewing an Imperial Pumpkin—or my hydrometer’s off. I won’t know until I take a final gravity.

And this morning, less than 12 hours after I pitched the yeast (using the new giant smack packs from Wyeast), there was a nice bubbly activity in the fermenter. Looking good!

More on it as it progresses.

One Response to Brewing pumpkin

  1. Clarke says:

    Sometimes OG readings can be high due to poor mixing, when adding extracts for example. You can check the hydrometer in water.

    Good luck with the pumpkin, mine have run the gamut from great to horrid.